Pages

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

This one time I flew to California

I spent a while today googling illustrators and concept artists that people have told me about lately and adding their blogs to a watchlist.  This is called Putting the Plan Into Action.  The plan is to keep up with art trends and be inspired so that I can one day become a Famous Artist.  I began to realize something that would seem to make complete sense but I had never really noticed it before: I love looking at art.  Particularly really good illustration.  Why haven't I tried this before??

In other news:
Last month I skipped school for a week to go on a field trip with the illustration department to L.A.  It was incredible.  We visited Disney studios and Dreamworks and Sony Animation and a few video game studios, and several artists who do gallery shows and paintings for a living.  We also played frisbee on the beach, in mid-March, with dolphins swimming just offshore and I felt like I was in a heartwarming teen summer film.

I haven't yet organized the roughly two zillion photos I took yet, but here is a selection from my sketchbook:

The main thing that struck me about LA was the excessive variety of palm trees.
One of the artists we visited, Ken Bishop, lived three blocks from the beach.  And he had sweet boots.
Moonrise from the Santa Monica Pier.  Pen and ink doesn't do it justice.
Not from life, but hey.

No comments:

Post a Comment